- Search The Registry
- Teacher’s Forum
- Youth Programs
- About Us
- Creating Support
- My Account
On this date, we celebrate the founding of Coppin State College (CSC) in 1900 in Maryland. It is one of over 100 Historically Black Colleges and Universities in America.
An urban, residential college located in the northwest section of Baltimore City, It is a member of the University System of Maryland. The Baltimore City Public Schools’ Board of Commissioners established the college for African-American teachers as a one-year training class. From 1900 to 1952, classes met in elementary and secondary school buildings in various parts of the city. From 1900 to 1963, Coppin was a single-purpose institution, designed for the preparation of elementary school teachers.
In 1926, the Board of School Commissioners authorized use of the name Fanny Jackson Coppin Normal School, in honor of an African-American educator who received a degree from Oberlin College in 1865 and made significant contributions to the education of African-American youth. In 1938, Coppin Normal School was renamed Coppin State Teachers College with authority to grant the Bachelor of Science degree; in 1950, it became a part of the Maryland Public School System under the State Department of Education. On July 1, 1952, the college moved to its present site on West North Avenue.
Coppin is a four-year, multipurpose college with a strong sense of commitment to the central city. On its 50-acre campus are 500,000 square feet of modern buildings. More than 3,600 students are enrolled in day, evening, and weekend undergraduate and graduate courses. The college is characterized by a special kind of growth attuned to the needs and interest of residents of Baltimore City. Coppin became a multipurpose institution in 1963, when the Maryland General Assembly authorized the college to prepare arts and sciences majors in a variety of disciplines and to offer a program of secondary education.
It was also in 1963 that Coppin State became a member of the Board of Trustees of Maryland State Colleges, thereby breaking from the Maryland State Board of Education. In May 1970, the Board of Trustees made Coppin a full-fledged liberal arts college. On July 1, 1988, Coppin State College became a part of the newly formed University System of Maryland. This change in the governance structure did not result in a change in role and mission. The university currently offers programs in arts and sciences, social work, nursing, criminal justice, and teacher education at the undergraduate level and in special education, and masters of Arts in teaching, rehabilitation counseling, adult education, and criminal justice at the graduate level.
In addition, its undergraduate and graduate academic programs are accredited by a number of specialized agencies. Teacher education programs are accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education and approved by the Maryland State Department of Education. The nursing program is approved by the Maryland State Board of Examiners of Nurses and accredited by the National League of Nursing. The Council on Social Work Education and the Council on Rehabilitation Counseling Education has accredited their Social Work and Rehabilitation Counseling Education programs, respectively.
Black American Colleges and Universities:
Profiles of Two-Year, Four-Year, and Professional Schools
by Levirn Hill, Pub., Gale Group, 1994