- Search The Registry
- Teacher’s Forum
- Youth Programs
- About Us
- Creating Support
- My Account
*Henrietta Lacks was born on this date in 1920. She was an African American housewife, mother and the involuntary donor of cells from her cancerous tumor, which were cultured to create an immortal cell line for medical research. This is now known as the HeLa cell line.
Born as Henrietta Pleasant in Roanoke, Virginia she was one of ten children of Eliza and John Randall Pleasant. Her mother died giving birth to her tenth child when Henrietta was four. Sometime after this, John Pleasant who worked as a brakeman on the railroad took the children back to Lackstown located in the city of Clover in Halifax County, Virginia to be raised. This was where Eliza’s relatives lived.
Henrietta married David Lacks in Halifax County, Virginia. Soon after, her husband moved north and found work at the Sparrow's Point shipyards and found a house for them on New Pittsburgh Avenue in Turners Station; Henrietta and the children followed.. This community was one of the largest of the approximately fifty African American communities in Baltimore County, Maryland. The couple had five children. Her last child was born at Johns Hopkins Hospital in November of 1950.
On February 1, 1951, Henrietta Lacks went to Johns Hopkins Hospital because of a vaginal discharge. That day she was diagnosed with cervical cancer. She was treated but died on October 4, 1951 at the age of thirty-one. Her HeLa cells were cultured while Lacks was receiving treatment for cervical cancer. Her cancer was metastasizing abnormally rapidly, vastly faster than any other cancer the physicians had seen.
Lacks is buried without a tombstone in a family cemetery in Lackstown Virginia. Lackstown is the land that has been held by the Lacks' family after receiving it from the family whom they were slaves of and descendants of. "Lax" was at first the name of this family. Later the Lax family changed their last name to "Lacks". Lack's mother has the only tombstone of the five graves in the family cemetery in Lackstown.
The Johns Hopkins Magazine, April 2000,
The Johns Hopkins University,
901 South Bond Street Suite 540
Baltimore, Maryland 21231