- Search The Registry
- Teacher’s Forum
- Street Team Youth Programs
- About Us
- Creating Support
- My Account
*The founding of Kendleton, Texas is celebrated on this date in 1865. Kendleton is a city in western Fort Bend County. It is one of many Black Towns (settlements) throughout America.
What is now Kendleton was a part of William E. Kendall's plantation. In the 1860s Kendall divided his property into various small farms and sold the plots to Blacks who were former slaves after the American Civil War. The community of the farms became known as Kendleton. In 1882 the New York, Texas, and Mexican Railway Company established a railroad track between Rosenberg and Victoria, which passed through Kendleton. The United States Postal Service A post office opened in Kendleton in 1884, shortly after Kendleton's founding. Kendleton Post Office is located at 13635 Willie Melton Boulevard. Benjamin F. Williams was the first postmaster and served in the state legislature. In 1890 Kendleton had 25 occupants and a general store. In 1896 the community had two additional general stores and two churches: Baptist and Methodist.
In 1900 116 people lived in Kendleton. In 1933 Kendleton had 36 residents. By the late 1940s, Kendleton had about 100 residents. In the 1960s and 1970s, the population fluctuated between 150 and 200 people. In 1973 voters approved the incorporation of Kendleton as a city. After incorporation, the population increased to over 600. In 1990 Kendleton had 496 residents. In 2000 Kendleton had 466 residents. According to the Handbook of Texas, area residents estimated that about 2,200 people lived in Kendleton and surrounding areas.
At the 2000 census, there were 466 people, 178 households, and 116 families residing in the city. The population density was 437.9 per square mile (169.7/km2). There were 209 housing units at an average density of 196.4/sq mi (76.1/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 12.45% White, 78.97% African American, 0.21% Pacific Islander, 5.15% from other races, and 3.22% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 15.24% of the population. In July 2011 the USPS announced that the post office may close. The nearest available post office to Kendleton is over 10 miles (16 km) from the city.
Kendleton is served by the Lamar Consolidated Independent School District (LCISD). Students attend Beasley Elementary School in Beasley, Wessendorff Middle School, Lamar Junior High School, and Lamar Consolidated High School. The designated community college for LCISD is Wharton County Junior College. Bay Ridge Christian College was located north of Kendleton in an unincorporated section of Fort Bend County.
Fort Bend County owns and operates the Bates M. Allen Park, located just outside the city limits of Kendleton. The 235-acre (0.95 km2) park includes a canoe ramp, a fishing pier, grills, a historical site, a lake, an observation deck, two pavilions, a play area, a sand volleyball court, tables, toilet facilities, walking trails, and wetlands. The population was 380 at the 2010 census, down from 466 at the 2000 census. As of 2011, Darryl Humphrey was the mayor of the city.