- Search The Registry
- Teacher’s Forum
- Youth Programs
- About Us
- Creating Support
On this date in 1912, Tennessee State University (TSU) opened its doors of higher learning. TSU is one of over 100 Historically Black Colleges and Universities in America.
Organized as the Agricultural and Industrial State Normal School in 1909, it began serving students on June 19, 1912. It was raised to the status of four-year teachers' college in 1922, and elevated to full-fledged land-grant university status by the Tennessee State Board of Education in 1958. TSU is now a comprehensive, urban, coeducational land-grant university. The 450-acre main campus, with more than 65 buildings, is located in a residential setting; the Avon Williams Campus is located downtown, near the center of the Nashville business and government district.
Tennessee State University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the Associate, Bachelor's, Master's Specialist in Education, and Doctor's degrees. There are about 8,750 students including undergraduate and graduate (with a 17-to-1 ratio). The three-story Martha M. Brown/Lois H. Daniel Library has an impressive collection of resources supporting the college curriculum as well as the research needs of those in the surrounding areas. The library houses a collection of more than 420,000 books, 1,500 microform titles, 1,775 periodicals, and a wide variety of online database services.
Also included in the 82,000 square-foot building are rooms devoted to collections highlighting the University's rich and colorful history.
Black American Colleges and Universities:
Profiles of Two-Year, Four-Year, & Professional Schools
by Levirn Hill, Pub., Gale Group, 1994