Today's Articles

People, Locations, Episodes

Mon, 09.06.1841

The A.M.E. Church Review is Published

October, 1909 issue

*On this date 1841, the A.M.E. Church Review was published.  This is the journal of the African Methodist Episcopal Church and arguably the earliest published American Black journal.

It publishes articles on religion, politics, history, and world events.  Originally named The A.M.E. Church Magazine, it was first published by the church's general book steward, Rev. George Hogarth of Brooklyn, New York. It was intended to be a monthly publication but appeared only sporadically and was discontinued after eight years due to lack of funds.  At the 1884 General Conference, the name was changed to the A.M.E. Church Review and Rev. Benjamin Tucker Tanner was elected editor.   

He was succeeded by Levi Jenkins Coppin in 1888; Hightower Theodore Kealing in 1896; and Reverdy C. Ransom in 1912.  Early contributors to the journal included suffragist Hallie Q. Brown, abolitionist Frederick Douglass, journalist Frances Ellen Watkins Harper, editor T. Thomas Fortune, Judge David Augustus Straker, educator William Scarborough, Senator Blanche Kelso Bruce, author Theophilus Gould Steward, attorney T. McCants Stewart, and bishops Daniel Alexander PayneHenry McNeal Turner, and Jabez Pitt Campbell.  

In the 21st century, the AME Review maintains is status of informing the public.   

New Poem Each Day

Poetry Corner

When Sister Rosa sat on that bus, she didn't sit alone, She had the visible image of the Master on the high throne. There were passengers on that bus that no... COTTIN PICKIN’ FREEDOM RIDERS by Evelyn Dilworth-Williams
Read More